I’m still not quite adjusted to this new stay-at-home life, but bit by bit, I’m figuring out what works for me. For instance, I still get big ideas in the evening and the middle of the night and am starting to realize it’s OKAY to stay up late or get up early and go with the ideas when they come.
And I’m learning that Mondays and Tuesdays are lousy days to grocery shop! The stores are restocking on Mondays and I swear Tuesdays must be senior citizen day . . . not that I have anything against seniors, seeing as I will be AARP-eligible in a mere decade. But I like having the store basically to myself and that seems to best happen on Friday afternoons. That didn’t happen yesterday however, because I was hanging out at the local outlet mall with my dad (who is hands-down the absolute best shopper in the world!) And I abhor going to the grocery store on the weekends. So I did the next best thing and decided to go grocery shopping in my freezer, which meant the freezer also got a nice organizing makeover. (The big freezer downstairs is practically empty, thanks to the power outage we had a few weeks ago during the big winter storm).
I made a quick list on paper of all the items stuffed into my little upstairs freezer and planned a week or two’s worth of meals around that list: (most of this is leftover bits and pieces from previous meals that I stuff into Ziploc bags).
- Pre-cooked ground meat – lasagne
- Chicken breasts – I thawed, diced and cooked today, will use for chicken noodle soup.
- Chicken parts, already cooked – great for chicken salad sandwiches
- Sausage patties – breakfast for dinner, perfect with french toast from homemade bread
- Bacon – oh man, I love my bacon! Mike’s been yammering for BLT’s so that will make an easy dinner some night after a day of spring cleaning (really, I did it last year and am already looking forward to clearing away some of winter’s accumulated dust bunnies)
- Salmon – my favorite, and good thing, because there’s only a piece or two (Mike hates salmon – he’ll get fish sticks!)
- Kielbassa – Hm, not sure. He liked it last week when I made it with pierogies and sauerkraut. Or maybe my mom’s famous quick spaghetti, with Velveeta cheese & canned tomatoes.
- Pepperoni – no brainer here – gotta make some pepperoni rolls and those will be perfect to freeze for Mike’s lunches.
- Shrimp – I’m thinking shrimp fried rice or something Oriental.
- Meatloaf – will probably be hot meatloaf sandwiches for Mike some night when I’m out.
I already have the pasta, rice and veggies for most of these meals. That means I can get by with just a milk and fruit run this week. And Aldi’s has this fabulous frozen fruit that I’ve been using to make us smoothies almost every day (me for lunch, Mike for dessert). So woo-hoo – meal planning is done for another week or so and the grocery store successfully avoided!
How about you – any quick meal ideas for using up those odds and ends from your freezer?